Monday, October 17, 2005

Streams in the Wasteland


A while back, my husband, Alan, and I were praying together. As we were praying, I saw an image of a dry, cracked desert floor spreading out in all directions. A glass of water was poured onto the desert. Pretty much once the water hit the ground, it was gone...soaked in.

Not sure what this meant, I asked Alan if there was any scripture from that week that had struck him. He shared that he had been in Isaiah 43 that week and that it had been meaningful. He read the chapter out loud. Here are some excerpts from Isaiah 43. (Keep reading after the verses...)

Isaiah 43:1-3a, 16-21 -

1 But now, this is what the LORD says-
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
3 For I am the LORD , your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;

16 This is what the LORD says-
he who made a way through the sea,
a path through the mighty waters,
17 who drew out the chariots and horses,
the army and reinforcements together,
and they lay there, never to rise again,
extinguished, snuffed out like a wick:
18 "Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
19 See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland.
20 The wild animals honor me,
the jackals and the owls,
because I provide water in the desert
and streams in the wasteland,
to give drink to my people, my chosen,
21 the people I formed for myself
that they may proclaim my praise.

When Alan got to the part about the streams in the wasteland, I started laughing hard. The freedom I felt from hearing this word from God was wonderful. He is the One who provides the way for us and the miracles we need.

The image I had of the glass of water being poured onto the hard ground is our own feeble efforts. In this parched and weary culture in which we live, our efforts are no more than 8 oz. of water poured onto the desert.

It is the Lord Himself who brings the streams in the wasteland. Can you picture that desert? Can you feel that desert? Now picture God blasting right down the middle of it with a stream of cool, refreshing water that brings life to that dry, weary place. This is our God! He gives to His people, His chosen so that we may proclaim His praise. Thank, you, Father!

"Desperate" graphic found on: http://www.anewkindofchristian.com/archives/lettertosongwriters.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment