Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Sitting with God

This past year, one of the things I have been trying on is 15 minutes of just "being." In particular, I'm trying to just "be with God." I'm not trying to study or even pray - but just be in His presence. You would think that this would be something relatively easy to do. I, however, have been struggling with it. Mostly, the time is spent with my mind wandering all over the place and me trying to "stay on track." Our culture is so full of stimuli. I find it hard to come off of the pace of day-to-day life and just "be." Most of us are usually trying to get ahead, get a move on or just get done.

Here's something I journaled a few months ago about my struggle to be still:

Well, Lord, I am trying to give you 15 minutes of just me presenting myself before You. I find that there are many hindrances: my mind races with thoughts, I’m still trying to figure out what I am “supposed to get” or “supposed to give” to You in the time.

Today I realized that maybe it’s just good to present my body and mind to You for the sake of that alone. I present my body and mind to many other things (eating, sleeping, friends, TV, shopping). The least I could do is say, “here’s a time in which my sole purpose is to be before the Lord, come what may.”

Thank You for being patient with me while I fumble around. You are gracious.

No comments:

Post a Comment