Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Adorn My Soul

"Come, 0 Lord, in much mercy down into my soul and take possession and dwell there. A poor dwelling, I confess, for so glorious a Person as You. Yet, I am preparing for a fitting reception of You, by holy and fervent desires of Your own inspiring. Enter then, and adorn my soul, and make it a worthy place for You to inhabit, since it is the work of Your own hands. Give me Yourself, without which, even if You should give me all that You ever have made, yet this would not satisfy my desires. Let my soul ever seek You, and let me persist in seeking, until I have found, and am in full possession of You. Amen." (St. Augustine)

This prayer of St. Augustine puts into words a longing that has been in my own heart. I have spoken before about not being satisfied by anything on this earth. It is He Himself that my soul seeks. There is no person, activity or possession that gives my soul its true satisfaction. Lord, it is You alone that I desire. As Augustine says - please make your dwelling down in my soul today. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment