Monday, November 07, 2005

Bark Chips, Part 3

Well, I got to the end of my 24-hour retreat and a few things had shaken down in the process. I realized the swirl in my head (bark chips) was not only the details of the stuff of life, but also my over-processing of them.

I was reading "Sacred Companions" by David Benner. In one of the chapters he encouraged a friend not to second-guess what God is up to or over analyze what one is supposed to learn from a situation. In the context he was in no way negating the thoughtful pondering of God's work in your life. There are times, however, when too much thinking/analyzing is not helpful.

Asking why is only one of the things I do in my "mull-fests." I seek to control almost everything by thinking it through and then thinking again, getting side tracked by others' opinions in my head and my own emotions which go all over the place on any given day or week.

I exhaust myself with over-analysis.

The Lord lead me to two passages on peace:

John 14:27 - "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

John 16:33 - "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

I can't, by my own efforts, make the bark chips go away. I can't make the flurry of my mind go away.

I can, however, receive the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ. I can continue to attune myself to God in the midst. Finding His voice can be like being in a large, bustling crowd and honing in on one voice among the throng. But He is there, speaking, leading and loving. I am learning to be still to listen and receive.

May I hear Your voice alone, Lord Jesus! Thank you for the renewed peace that you so graciously give to me. You are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment