Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wayne Anderson, 1940-2008


This evening I will be attending a memorial service for one of my spiritual mentors, Wayne Anderson. His life message was “The Grace of God.” One of his famous one-liners was:

“As we are saved by grace, so we live by grace, serve by grace, and lead by grace.”

Wayne loved the beach. I know this because he kept a P.O. Box in Laguna Beach just so he would be sure to get to the beach on a regular basis. I always thought that was cool.

I will also always remember him as the guy who "took a year off to be with God." It seemed so radical to me the first time I heard it. Now it makes perfect sense to me.

An important part of my own ministry is helping people engage in extended times with God. Wayne named these times EPCs (Extended Personal Communion). It is because of Wayne that this practice has become so important to me personally.

I guess that now, for Wayne, EPC means Eternal Personal Communion. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment